Monday 24 February 2014

Cauliflower and Kale Bites


It's day 17 on my cleanse and things are getting a bit...tiresome.
I torture myself with hours spent on Pinterest and pouring through my cook books, preparing recipes to bake when the cleanse is over. I honestly don't know how I have managed the strength to not eat any form of sugar for this long...anybody who knows me would think that robot Millie has replaced sweet toothed real Millie.
It's strange because although it's hard, really hard, it has become the normal. I'm surprised how quickly I adjusted, from little things like just pouring my coffee straight into my mug black, leaving no room for cream or sugar, to going food shopping and not even glancing at the potatoes or fruit.
The first few times I went food shopping I still wandered down the fruit isle, looking longingly at the bananas and berries, thinking why oh why did I not gorge on blueberries when I had the chance?!
But now it is acceptance. I breeze through the shop, only a basket because there's no heavy potatoes or tinned beans to buy, only light bags of spinach and kale. I actually get excited about buying the onions because they're the one thing that brings the most flavour to my meals.
But anyways, I shan't complain for much longer. My herbalist has suggested re-introducing foods soon, maybe in March! It will be such a happy day when I bake my first post-cleanse cake... :)

Well, lets get to this rather yummy recipe...


Cauliflower and Kale Bites

Ingredients - makes about 10 bite sized balls

6 oz Cauliflower
2 oz Courgette
1 Small red onion
3 Cloves garlic
Big bunch of kale
1 Tbsp chopped ginger root

2 oz Cashew cream (about 1 oz cashews blended with water to make 2 oz)
1 Tbsp coconut oil
Large pinch salt 
Large grind of pepper
Splash of water (About 3 tbsp)
2 Tbsp coconut flour
Squeeze lemon juice (About 4 tbsp)
1 Tsp basil
1 Tsp oregano
1 Tsp cumin
1 Tsp coriander
1 Tsp chili power or chopped chilies


First things first....
Pop your cashews into some boiling water and set aside.
Next...
Chop the cauliflower, onion, courgette, garlic and ginger very finely. Spread it our thinly on a baking tray and bake for 5-10 minutes on 200c - we don't want it to burn! When it starts to go a tiny bit brown take it out. Leave it to cool.
Whilst that's cooling.....
Drain your cashews (they should have softened slightly) and blend them with the coconut oil, salt and pepper, water, 1 tbsp coconut flour, and lemon - we want a thick batter consistency - you may need to add a dash more flour/water.
Now...
Put the cooled cauliflower mixture into a cloth - I use my jam straining cloth - and squeeze out all the water. You'll be surprised by how much water comes out!
Once strained...
Pop the cauliflower mixture into a bowl and mix in the spices and last tbsp coconut flour. Then stir in the cream mixture until it's all combined. Add in your kale now too - I chopped mine very finely so I could put it in raw.
Grab your baking tray.....
Scoop out the mixture and shape it in your hands - I rolled it into messy balls but you could make them into mini burgers too!
Pop them in the oven and bake at 200c for about 30 minutes or until browned and crispy.




Hope you enjoy! 
Happy eating! x












No comments: