Thursday 20 February 2014

I Love You Because You're Green


So It's day 13 of my cleanse...and I'll admit, I was getting BORED. And what would I usually do when I had a spare hour or simply needed cheering up? Yep you guessed it, BAKE. But no no no. Must be good. 
Urgh.
But I thought no, I shall not despair and descend into a blubbering mess or indeed madness...although I was close.
I decided to summon some of the enthusiasm I usually feel when it comes to devising new recipes and applied it to my cleanse.
And ta da! Healthy, satisfying and colourful broccoli soup with a cashew cream.

But oh I didn't stop there...


Say hello to the best little nugget-y thing ever... 
Spiced cauliflower and kale nuggets!
Although I'm not sure that I really want to call them nuggets...the word nugget makes me think of that greasy smell that hangs around outside KFC...URGH!
Hmmm, but what else can one call a just-bigger-than-bite-sized-crunchy-on-the-outside-slightly-softer-on-the-inside-textured-blob?
A savoury cake? A mini burger? 
Any suggestions would be most helpful!

Anyway, here's how to make the Broccoli and Cream soup.

Ingredients
Serves Two

4 oz Broccoli
1 Leek
3 Garlic cloves
Coconut oil
1 tsp Mustard seeds
Salt
Black pepper
Big handful spinach
1-2 oz Cashew cream - depending on how creamy you like it


How to make Cashew Cream

This is a quick and easy recipe. All you need to do, is boil 1-2 oz cashew for a few minutes until they're soft.
Then blend them with water - add the water little by little until you reach the consistency you want.

For the soup

Saute the leek in the coconut oil, salt and mustard seeds.
When the leek starts to become soft add the garlic.
After a few minutes add the broccoli and stir so it's coated in the oil.
Add enough water so that it almost covered the broccoli and let it simmer until the broccoli becomes tender.
Now remove from the heat and add in the spinach, stirring so that it wilts down into the soup.
Add the cashew cream (leave 2 tbsps) and stir to combine before using a hand blender to half blend the soup - I don't like to blend it all as I like chunky soup!
Season with salt and pepper and serve into two bowls. Drizzle with the remaining cream and enjoy!

If you like the look of the Cauliflower and Kale Chunks then watch this space - recipe will be coming up next!

Happy eating! x









No comments: